My makeup bag and this little pot of magic have been close for some time now…
I took a decision in my early twenties to start steering away from the more robust, heavy cream and liquid foundations, because, quite honestly, I’ve just never really felt comfortable wearing them and I always felt my skin was suffocating.
I started hunting for something light that would provide really solid, yet genuinely natural coverage, the ‘no make-up make-up’ Holy Grail.
I really wanted to avoid formulations with lots unnecessary chemicals and ingredients that I couldn’t pronounce, because, the way I saw it, this was going to be on my face every day (give or take). Having always had slightly oily skin, I also needed something that would strike that perfect balance of shine control and moisture, (plus, extra points would be awarded if it could contain some lovely skin nourishing natural goodies too!).
So, not asking for much hey…
Antipodes – ‘hold my drink’.
Easy peasy for Antipodes it seems. After trying quite a few different mineral foundations from various brands, I found it. Everything I was looking for, and more.
Antipodes Performance Plus Mineral Foundation SPF15 (Light Yellow)
The key ingredients…
- Jojoba oil: Used in skincare for centuries. Anti-ageing, hydrating – vitamin E, vitamin B, antioxidants and minerals just a few of the benefits.
- Vinanza Grape & Kiwi – This has been clinically shown to improve skin elasticity by 16%, decrease skin redness and pigmentation by 7%, and improve skin cell membrane integrity by decreasing skin water loss by 16%. (Independent clinical study by AgResearch Ltd)
- Earth minerals: The ‘magic dust’ I call it – the makeup of the formulation that gives the natural, yet effective coverage.
- Fragrance Free: Tick
The full list… Bismuth oxychloride CI 77163, mica CI 77019, zinc oxide CI 77947, titanium dioxide CI 77891, kaolin, silica, iron oxides CI 77491, CI 77492, CI 77499, zinc stearate, vitis vinifera (sauvignon blanc grapeseed) extract & actinidia chinensis (kiwifruit) skin, simmondsia chinensis (jojoba) seed oil, ascorbic acid, tocopherol (Vitamin E).
Why I Love It…
- It’s my skin. But better. It’s the perfect daytime coverage. I use shade ‘Light Yellow’ which is spot on for my colouring. Lightweight, natural skin perfecting in just a couple of swirls of a Kabuki brush.
- Beautifully build-able where needed. We all have days where lets face it, more is definitely more. This gives you the option to seamlessly layer on those areas.
- Keeps my skin ‘in balance’ throughout the day, keeping any shine under control for hours, far better than any other foundation I have used previously.
- Not drying or ‘dusty’ looking – The finish is soft, natural and dewy. All day. The coverage hasn’t slipped off by lunchtime.
- A little goes a long way. I achieve perfect coverage for me with just a few taps of product into the lid of the pot.
- Factor 15 SPF. Always a bonus.
- Shade range. This product is currently available in ‘Pale Pink’, ‘Light Yellow’ and ‘Medium Beige’. I understand that these shades have been carefully designed to extend over and suit a wide spectrum of skin tones, however I feel that there is most definitely room for further extension and choice!
Good to know…
- The pot is a recyclable plastic jar and packaging 100% biodegradable cardboard from sustainable forests.
- Certified vegetarian by the UK Vegetarian Society
This is a beautiful mineral foundation that has served me well for years and I believe has genuinely improved the health and appearance of my skin.
So, final thoughts in a (jojoba) nut shell?…
Ideal for every day, but perhaps not suited if you prefer or are looking for a more full, high coverage formulation.
Definitely one to consider however if, with summer just around the corner, you’re looking to ‘lighten up’ your makeup routine (plus enjoy the benefits of some pretty handy daily beautifying…).
I purchase mine from Naturisimo